Fargo mirzapur 2 This Is Us S05E02 Greenland 2020 Tenet 2020 tamil xxx Star Trek Discovery S03E01 2067 2020 Unhinged 2020 neXt S01E03 Hindi 2020 Star Trek Discovery S03E02 Rebecca 2020 Over the Moon 2020 Hubie Halloween 2020 nascar After We Collided 2020 rq.mp4 DC Week proper the walking dead evo yts The Witches 2020 Blood of Zeus mirzapur  ethd etmovies tenet Mulan 2020 On the Rocks 2020 scam 1992 Honest Thief 2020 Filthy Rich S01E05 The Bachelorette S16E03 Ava 2020 FEAR THE WALKING DEAD 2160p The New Mutants 2020 Borat Subsequent Moviefilm 2020 Blood of Zeus s01e01 ettv The War with Grandpa 2020 Below Deck Mediterranean S05E22 Last Week Tonight with John Oliver S07E27 next Fear the Walking Dead S06E03 The Trial of the Chicago 7 2020 Mirzapur season 2 this is us The Walking Dead World Beyond S01E04 borat supernatural This Is Us S05E01 ddr Star Trek Discovery  The Voice S19E03 The Mandalorian Roald Dahls The Witches 2020 The Boys etrg wwe Hindi The Sister S01E01 Love and Monsters 2020 the undoing The Voice S19E04 the undoing s01e01 Malayalam Fargo S04E06 Helstrom S01E01 Big Brother S22E36 
Warning! Use a VPN When Downloading Torrents!
Your IP Address is 18.207.102.38. Location United States
Your Internet Provider can see when you download torrents! Hide your IP Address with a VPN
ETTV warns: You should use VPN to hide your torrenting. HIDE ME NOW
Chit Chat > Help needed re forced subtitles on smart TV

You are in:  Forums / Chit Chat / Help needed re forced subtitles on smart TV
CrabapplePost has 1 Like and 0 Dislike | Posted at 2020-08-31 19:09:31(8 wks ago)

England

Hi folks,

I wonder if some kind soul would be willing to help out a poor ignorant sod who doesn't know his encoding from his elbow.

Background: I download videos and use my PC as a media server to watch them on my LG TV. Many of these display subtitles that seem impossible to turn off on the TV. Generally that's not a problem as I can convert the file using Any Video Converter, stripping the subtitles in the process.

Problem: Where my problem arises is for those films that are mostly in English, but have sections where another language is used and where forced subtitles would normally be displayed. I can't find a way that lets me set up the film so that it will display the required subtitles for the foreign language sections, as it would show on a TV broadcast for example - it's either all or nothing, which is very annoying. Particularly as it seems I like a lot of films that have these sections.

For example:
The Bourne Identity (e.g. the fishing boat crew at the start and the staff at the safety-deposit bank) +sequels?
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (e.g. where Caesar communicates in sign language with the orangutan) +sequels?
The Mummy (e.g. where the pharoah discovers Imhotep and where Imhotep talks later) +sequels?
The Day the Earth Stood Still (e.g. where Keanu talks with his Chinese contact)

I'm hoping there is a solution to this that is fairly straightforward for those more technically advanced than me.

Can anyone help? I'll be your best friend, at least until Friday :o)

Dave

Last edited by Crabapple on 2020-09-06 19:06:38

Report This Post Go to the top of the page
     |  
B4ND1T69Post has 1 Like and 0 Dislike | Posted at 2020-10-06 11:14:15(3 wks ago)

United Kingdom

From what i understand.....your using your pc to play the movies and watch them on your tv...?

If this is the case then you need to turn off the subtitles on your media player, not the tv, as the tv is only showing what your media player is playing.

You also have a solution already....when you use AVC to remove the subtitles, just leave the ones labelled [FORCED] as they will contain all foreign, or non-English subs, and AVC will put them onto the video for you.

Hope this helps Crabapple  :D

|  
CrabapplePost has 0 Like and 0 Dislike | Posted at 2020-10-11 20:55:04(2 wks ago)

England

Hi Bandit,

Thanks for the reply - really appreciated. It didn't notify me you had replied for some reason, otherwise I'd have replied straight away.

No, I'm not running them on the PC, the TV just accesses them from there via the wifi and using its own software to play them; I guess what that means is that I'm using the PC as a kind of NAS server.

I've read a lot of forums trying to find similar questions and I did come across a discussion on forced subtitles, so I understand the concept, but I've not had any luck finding forced subtitles either in the AVC subtitle drop-down or by looking directly in srt files.

You mention [FORCED] as a label; I've never come across anything labelled that way so I'm probably looking in the wrong place. Where should I be looking?

It's really frustrating because the films it affects always seem to be ones I particularly like.

If you can give me any extra help, I'd be in your debt.

CA. :o)

|  
B4ND1T69Post has 1 Like and 0 Dislike | Posted at 2020-10-11 22:45:11(2 wks ago)

United Kingdom

Then it looks like you need to go into your Smart Tv settings page and look for the subtitle section...
It probably needs setting to NOT play by default...maybe..?

Sounds like when your TV grabs the file, it's loading all the subs and extras aswell, and by the sounds of it, it is playing the main sub file (largest sub file)...not JUST the [FORCED] subs...?
There should be an option in your tv setting to let you decide which subs to play...?

:D

|  
CrabapplePost has 0 Like and 0 Dislike | Posted at 2020-10-11 23:49:29(2 wks ago)

England

Yeah, I've looked through every option available on the TV a number of times - it is quite clearly set to not display any subtitles - it works for TV reception, but accessing files will be done by an app and I don't think the app checks the stored TV setting - it seems a pretty rubbish app all round - I guess they expect everyone to get everything streamed these days.

That's why I gave up pursuing the TV angle a while ago in favour of using AVC to strip subtitles out of the file altogether, so the TV's subtitle-fetish would be irrelevant. And it works fine except for those films where I want to keep the forced subs. If I could just get/create a file with only those subs present, or where they're burnt in, it wouldn't matter what the TV did.

Thanks for sticking around.

|  
B4ND1T69Post has 1 Like and 0 Dislike | Posted at 2020-10-12 00:54:10(2 wks ago)

United Kingdom

You can get AVC to hardcode the subs for you.

When you load a file into AVC it will automatically load all the subs in the file...
Just select the [FORCED] subs from the list...(if there are no [FORCED] subs on show then the required subs will usually be the top sub file)...(see image below)

Select the subs you want to keep and encode the file as you would normally and they should be hardcoded onto the file when completed....and the rest of the unwanted subs will be removed at the same time.

Hope this helps a bit..?
I'm off for the night now but i'll check back later on incase you need any more help.
Stay Safe Crabapple.

|  
CrabapplePost has 0 Like and 0 Dislike | Posted at 2020-10-15 14:32:18(1 wk ago)

England

Hi Bandit,

Sorry for the delay; I needed to find time to check through a few things. And it got me out of your hair for a little while. :)

It seems that all the torrents I have downloaded with this particular problem are .mp4 with a separate .srt file containing all the subs. I can use AVC to put them all in, or I can leave them all out. And, interestingly enough, it's independent of the TV; the same thing is true if I run it in VLC on the PC - I can leave subs on and get them all, or disable them and get none.

So, I'd figure there must be others who have had this problem and would have expected to be able to find comments/questions about this - unless the solution is so simple, no-one thinks to post about it.

I'm at a loss. :(

CA

|  
B4ND1T69Post has 1 Like and 0 Dislike | Posted at 2020-10-16 17:24:36(1 wk ago)

United Kingdom

Have you got a link to one of the torrents and i'll see if there's any other way to do it...?

:@)

|  
CrabapplePost has 1 Like and 0 Dislike | Posted at 2020-10-17 10:30:13(1 wk ago)

England

That's very kind indeed. Ok, here's a torrent for The Mummy 1999 (750Mb): https://www.ettvcentral.com/torrent/170987/the-mummy-1999-720p-brrip-x264-750mb-yify

As a test point:
at 1m55s - the narration in English
at 2m15s - Pharaoh speaks in Egyptian.

Thanks.

CA :o)

|  
B4ND1T69Post has 1 Like and 0 Dislike | Posted at 2020-10-17 22:37:54(1 wk ago)

United Kingdom

Grabbing it now Crabapple....i'll post back 2moz after iv'e had a look...should be straight forward mate. :D

|  
B4ND1T69Post has 1 Like and 0 Dislike | Posted at 2020-10-19 08:52:16(1 wk ago)

United Kingdom

Crabapple wrote:

That's very kind indeed. Ok, here's a torrent for The Mummy 1999 (750Mb): https://www.ettvcentral.com/torrent/170987/the-mummy-1999-720p-brrip-x264-750mb-yifyAs a test point:at 1m55s - the narration in Englishat 2m15s - Pharaoh speaks in Egyptian.Thanks.CA :o)

Easy enough....that torrent comes with the FULL subs file only....nothing soft-coded on the movie file to extract either.
When you get an upload like that, with only the full subs, you can simply replace the subs file with one which has ONLY the [FORCED] subs....you can grab these from popular subtitle sites...just search for your movie, then look for the [FORCED], or NON-ENGLISH PARTS ONLY files which have the same movie name/tags as yours (so they match up when played)

[/url]subscene
[url=https://subscene.com/]

[/url]OpenSubs
[url=https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search/subs]

Replace the subtitles that come with that upload with this one....
https://subscene.com/subtitles/the-mummy-1999/english/827023

Iv'e checked them and they work just fine. Make sure you name your subs the same as your file so they are associated with it....just copy + paste the name of the movie file onto the subs and your done.

If you need any more help then just make another post in here...no bother at all.
Good luck Crabapple and stay safe :D

|  
CrabapplePost has 1 Like and 0 Dislike | Posted at 2020-10-21 01:15:27(1 wk ago)

England

That's absolutely brilliant, Bandit. :D

So simple in the end. I'll spend some time over the next few days going through all the films I have in the same condition - I'll finally be able to watch the Bourne films again.

Thanks so much for all the time and patience you have given me. You are a star.

CA8-)

|  
B4ND1T69Post has 0 Like and 0 Dislike | Posted at 2020-10-23 19:17:53(5 days ago)

United Kingdom

Your welcome mate...glad you got it sorted out in the end.

Stay Safe Crabapple :)

|  

<< Prev  1   Next >>

You are not permitted to post in this forum.